Opal House

Opal House

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Maren Talcott. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education and minor in Spanish. My passion is teaching... I love children! I was born in Minnesota, but spent all of my life growing up in Washington. My dream is to become a kindergarten teacher, and inspire children to love learning! I have done little to no traveling in my lifetime outside of the United States. My goal for this blog is to keep my family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my experiences. I will be living in Guatemala for three months, Jan.-March 2014. I will be volunteering at the Opal House School near Lake Atitlan. The reason for traveling to Guatemala is to have the experience of a lifetime, and improve my Spanish! This journey will push me out of my comfort zone, and open my eyes to a whole new world. I know that I will show my love and compassion to the guatemalan people every single day, and hope that I can impact their lives as much as I know they will impact my own. You can email me at marentalcott@yahoo.com

Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Special Visitor!

My Mom!

As you remember, I spend my first week here in Guatemala with my dad. Then, about half way through my trip, my best friend was here in Guatemala for a weekend. NOW, my mother is here to spend my last week with me. I couldn't be more grateful to have the opportunity to actually share my trip with three people I love more than anything. This way when I tell stories and they see pictures, it all will be so clear and make sense to them. They are able to actually put themselves into my shoes and understand better everything that I experienced. My dad and Jessie are both very adventurous...my mom on the other hand....is a little more reserved! This will be an eye opening experience for her! Just like it has been for me as well! 



Except now that I am comfortable, I can be like a tour guide!! 


When my dad was here, it was my very first week. I cried to see him leave, and I was scared and timid all week. Also, school hadn't started yet, so my dad didn't experience the children and my teaching. Now that is is the end of my journey, this place is my home. I am so comfortable, I know my way around, and I am proud to show off the beauty of the country and the people. I have so many fun things planned for us this week, it is going to fly by! I am going to make her do things that are right up her alley, but also push her to try new things and things that are a little uncomfortable at first. For example, I will be making her ride in the back of a Mayan Taxi, also known as a pick up truck stuffed with mayans standing in the back! 



I have to keep in mind how I felt at the beginning of my trip. And I remember like it was yesterday. I need to be patient with her, and ease her into the culture. I will also have to do a lot of translating since she does not speak any Spanish! 



Over the past 4-5 years my mom and I have gotten a lot closer. Apparently that is common when you go to college? I am certain that this trip is only going to strengthen our bond, just like it did with my dad and I. 




Antigua


1 comment:

  1. It has been a real pleasure for Denise and I to follow your blog. You will make a great teacher wherever you are and your students will benefit. We hope you have a special week with your Mom. We hope to come back to Guatemala next year and plan to visit Opal House. You are right, it is a special place and the people are simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete