Opal House

Opal House

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Maren Talcott. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education and minor in Spanish. My passion is teaching... I love children! I was born in Minnesota, but spent all of my life growing up in Washington. My dream is to become a kindergarten teacher, and inspire children to love learning! I have done little to no traveling in my lifetime outside of the United States. My goal for this blog is to keep my family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my experiences. I will be living in Guatemala for three months, Jan.-March 2014. I will be volunteering at the Opal House School near Lake Atitlan. The reason for traveling to Guatemala is to have the experience of a lifetime, and improve my Spanish! This journey will push me out of my comfort zone, and open my eyes to a whole new world. I know that I will show my love and compassion to the guatemalan people every single day, and hope that I can impact their lives as much as I know they will impact my own. You can email me at marentalcott@yahoo.com

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Another Perspective




The Adventures Continue



Agua Escondida Outside of Opal House

I feel rather spoiled living at Opal House. Every time I leave Opal House, and go on my many adventures, I see the real lifestyle of Guatemala. The homes, stores, streets, people...things that make your mouth drop open. Opal House is like a safe haven for the families, especially the children of Agua Escondida. The view, the school, the home, everything is beautiful at Opal House. And it isn't that much different from my home in Woodinville. But outside this 70 acre farm, things are different. Lately, Jackeline and I have been taking the "moto scooter" around on adventures. She is a pro driver, I on the other hand...could use some practice. I have no experience driving anything like this, and I get a little scared. And sometimes I even scare Jackeline who is sitting behind me! But we have stayed safe so far! It is a great was so travel around nearby and see the town, see the real lifestyle of the people of Guatemala. I took some pictures of some of the things you see in Agua Escondida. As you can see, life is not glamorous...life is simple. But the people of Agua Escondida don't know any differently. They appreciate their dirt home made of sticks and mud. They appreciate their little store where their sell chips and Coca Cola. This is THEIR life THEIR culture. And I am lucky that they are sharing it with me. I must say, you should see the looks I get when I drive the moto! But I embrace it and wave and yell HOLA!! If they are going to make a big deal about seeing an American girl driving around, I will give them something to laugh at and smile. Sometimes Jackeline and I even sing.... haha! I swear I am not going crazy, just having fun! 







Lake Atitlan- I sure am going to miss this view.






No comments:

Post a Comment