Opal House

Opal House

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Maren Talcott. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education and minor in Spanish. My passion is teaching... I love children! I was born in Minnesota, but spent all of my life growing up in Washington. My dream is to become a kindergarten teacher, and inspire children to love learning! I have done little to no traveling in my lifetime outside of the United States. My goal for this blog is to keep my family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my experiences. I will be living in Guatemala for three months, Jan.-March 2014. I will be volunteering at the Opal House School near Lake Atitlan. The reason for traveling to Guatemala is to have the experience of a lifetime, and improve my Spanish! This journey will push me out of my comfort zone, and open my eyes to a whole new world. I know that I will show my love and compassion to the guatemalan people every single day, and hope that I can impact their lives as much as I know they will impact my own. You can email me at marentalcott@yahoo.com

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Last Adventures in Guatemala!


Wednesday and Thursday were amazing with my mom. We spent time shopping and looking around Panajachel. The weather was so warm both days, we got to soak up the sun and enjoy the beautiful weather. Wednesday we spent the night in a hotel on the lake. This hotel is just drop dead gorgeous. It is built on a cliff, and literally right over the water. You have to really hike to get up to the office, and hotel rooms. There is no town or anything, just the hotel by itself on this cliff/side of the mountain. Our room was so pretty, and our bed faced the lake. We literally woke up to the view, and with the sun in the morning. For dinner at the hotel, it was family style. This was the first time I have experienced something like this. Everyone at the hotel ate dinner together. All the tables were pushed together, and we all ate the same food. There was a soup, salad, main dish (fish/potato), and dessert. It was a very special dinner and we were able to meet some very interesting people. It was a very romantic hotel, but I was content to share the experience with my mom! We then went back to Panajachel on Thursday, and bummed around awhile. Pana is my favorite place, maybe in the world. It was my last day in Pana, I wanted to really take it all in one last time. But then, the real surprise. My mom thought I was crazy when she heard about my zip lining experience. Well, my mom went zip lining in Panajachel too! I convinced her and Jackeline! Jackeline is petrified of heights…and was very nervous for this. My mom as well. But I told Jackeline, if you don’t do this now with me…you will never do this. And she agreed with me 100%, and went with us! She ended up loving it!!! She was only scared a little the first run! My mom enjoyed the experience as well. To stop on the zip line, at the end, is a little difficult. For my mom, she really was struggling with this part. She wasn’t scared or having a hard time with anything else, just the stopping part. After the first two runs, she ended up going with the instructor. Then that way, he was the one responsible for the stopping. She loved it so much better this way! It was an experience none of us will every forget. But I must say, I like the EXTREME cables better. The longer ones, that are also higher! But these girls insisted on doing the basic cables! Maybe next time they will graduate to the extreme!

No comments:

Post a Comment