Opal House

Opal House

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Maren Talcott. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education and minor in Spanish. My passion is teaching... I love children! I was born in Minnesota, but spent all of my life growing up in Washington. My dream is to become a kindergarten teacher, and inspire children to love learning! I have done little to no traveling in my lifetime outside of the United States. My goal for this blog is to keep my family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my experiences. I will be living in Guatemala for three months, Jan.-March 2014. I will be volunteering at the Opal House School near Lake Atitlan. The reason for traveling to Guatemala is to have the experience of a lifetime, and improve my Spanish! This journey will push me out of my comfort zone, and open my eyes to a whole new world. I know that I will show my love and compassion to the guatemalan people every single day, and hope that I can impact their lives as much as I know they will impact my own. You can email me at marentalcott@yahoo.com

Monday, March 17, 2014

Take Two- The Coast!



Our Last Big Adventure Together

As my journey is coming to an end, my relationship with Jackeline is really starting to hit me. Before me, Jackeline was living a very structured/simple life. She is 29 years old and lives with her family about a block down the road from Opal House. She would come to Opal House to work/teach at the school, then return home. She would stay at home on the weekends. Jackeline does not have friends in Agua Escondida. Not because she isn't likeable or amazing, but simply because there is NO ONE in Agua Escondida. This town is so small. There is no one her age, and all of her friends from the university live far away from her or they have lost touch. So then I come along, and things change. 

We are with each other literally all day long. We live together, work together, eat together, workout, and explore together. Our friendship is more like a relationship you might have with a sister. She has been a shoulder to cry on for me, and vise versa. Last week, it hit us both. When I leave, she will be moving back home with her family. And returning to that simple life. It absolutely breaks my heart. I can see how happy she is, I can truly appreciate how much our friendship means to her. We have both cried a few times already thinking about saying goodbye...but we really sat down and decided....No! No more tears! We need to make the most of every minute I have left in Guatemala, and continue our adventures. Sooo with that said, we went to the coast once again...the exact same hotel and everything! It was so perfect the first time, we wanted to experience it again! And its special for Jackeline because she has no one to travel off and spend the weekend away with, and she loves the coast. 




Surfing Competition 

Immediately when we showed up on the little boat to our "private"hotel Mar Maya on the beach, I noticed something was different. Jackeline didn't catch on quite as quickly, but there were all sorts of posters around the hotel! Posters about surfing. I said, "Jackeline, I wonder if something is going on this weekend?! Maybe an event of some sort!" Sure enough, there was a surfing competition. There were about 70 young men from all over Guatemala at Mar Maya for a surfing competition. WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT! The first time we were there, is was so peaceful, so private, and barely anyone was there. This time, was a little different. 


Breathtaking Sunset


Jackeline and I were basically the only two young women at Mar Maya...needless to say...we got ALL the attention. I felt like a celebrity once again. But boy do I have stories for you...

During the day, we walked the beach and watched the competition. Nothing too crazy. But once it hit dinner time, things got interesting! First there was a huuuuuuge long table for all the surfers, then other smaller tables. We were across the room from the surfer boys. Just like the last time we were there, there were singers, and some dancers performing during/after dinner. First, one of the singers, put me right on the spot and sang to me. As you can see in the picture below. Exactly what I needed, more attention drawn to me!!


My Serenade 



Then, Jackeline got a phone call, and stepped away from the table for awhile. It was just me sitting there, enjoying the music. But I just had a bad feeling... Out of no where, They stopped the music, pushed two tables together, and put a big surf board on top of the table. One of the surfers got on the microphone and announced that they wanted the girls to "surf" and it was a tradition. UH OH! First they asked the Mar Maya dancers (young girls- 13yrs) and they were all scared, and embarrassed. One girl tried but failed miserably. Then of course, ALL the boys start to point to me and call me over. I knew I didn't have much of a choice, and Jackeline wasn't there to help me out! So I literally got up, walked over to the table with the surf board on it. There were boys around it to help me but I looked at them and said, "No necesito ayuda" (I don't need help). I jumped up there, pretended I was paddling in the water, then jumped up into the position and surfed for about 30 seconds. And jumped right off! The crowd went WILD! Cheering and yelling. It was actually kind of cool :-)  Then they asked my name in the microphone and where I was from. This was the start to our night...

Then, Jackeline returned and I filled her in, she could not believe it! Then more music continued. One of the surfers came right over to my table, (and yes, he was actually probably the most attractive one there) and asked me to dance. I said oh no no I cant dance, but thank you. But he insisted. I said only if there is a guy willing to dance with my friend as well! Before we know it, Jackeline and I are dancing with two guys in front of EVERYONE! I was actually nervous, only because I don't really know how to dance to this kind of music....let alone with a boy! But luckily he took the lead, and I just followed. 

Later around 10pm, they just started to play music, music that I actually knew. Music that is popular in the United States. Kind of strange that the same "club" type music is popular here. All the surfers were dancing and kept asking me to dance. I just embraced it, I went all out. We had the best time!!! Jackeline was so timid and shy at first, leaving me alone on the dance floor a few times...but eventually she was the one that didn't want to leave! We literally danced for close to three hours. 


Dancing!


We also went in the water for the first time. Our last trip, we only dipped out feet in a little. This time we went all out! Bathing suit and all! We were fully in the water, playing in the waves. The water was amazing, and so warm. It was a very special weekend. Absolutely an amazing way to wrap up my trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment