Opal House

Opal House

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Maren Talcott. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education and minor in Spanish. My passion is teaching... I love children! I was born in Minnesota, but spent all of my life growing up in Washington. My dream is to become a kindergarten teacher, and inspire children to love learning! I have done little to no traveling in my lifetime outside of the United States. My goal for this blog is to keep my family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my experiences. I will be living in Guatemala for three months, Jan.-March 2014. I will be volunteering at the Opal House School near Lake Atitlan. The reason for traveling to Guatemala is to have the experience of a lifetime, and improve my Spanish! This journey will push me out of my comfort zone, and open my eyes to a whole new world. I know that I will show my love and compassion to the guatemalan people every single day, and hope that I can impact their lives as much as I know they will impact my own. You can email me at marentalcott@yahoo.com

Monday, March 3, 2014

Faith - Hope - Love

Faith - Hope - Love

And the greatest of these is love. 

This week has been a powerful week for me.  Sorry it has been so long since my last post, this was our busiest week yet with all the visitors. Lots of reflecting, lots of observing, and lots of emotion. It rather hard to put this into words, but I will do my best. This week I have met some very amazing people. The doctors that were here for surgery week were such a joy to be around. Although, they had such long days I barely saw them! It was nice to get to share my stories and my experience with them. There was a young nurse here, who lived in my room with me, and we actually grew a friendship. She was such a breath of fresh air. Her personality so fun, and care free. It was fun to have someone my age here, and so full of life. She is from Seattle, and I plan to stay in touch with her! 


One day this week, Jackelyn and I took the children to the chapel for some songs and new scenery. When we were singing, I looked out the windows at the beautiful view of the lake, I looked at each of the children...and I began to tear up. This was the first time I have gotten emotional about my experience- but happy emotions. I wasn't crying because I missed home. I was filled with happiness, comfort, and I was overwhelmed with gratefulness. This experience is a once in a lifetime experience, and I am lucky enough to get to be here. As we sang many songs, I just listened, watched and reflected. I have changed so much over the past two months. I have seen and experienced things that I never knew existed. Before Guatemala, I was living in a world that was familiar. I was living each day thinking about myself, my world, and taking it for granted. Here, I have seen how the majority of the world actually lives. But I am not afraid of this world, nor do I look at it with sadness. Instead, I see a world that is beautiful. I world that has changed me for the better. 


There is one student, her name is Alanis. Alanis is one of a kind. She is only three years old, but filled with fire. She never participates, never sings, and never dances. Basically all of the fun things! She just sits there, watches, and has a rather pout face on. Alanis usually dresses in very dirty clothing, and her shoes are nearly falling apart. She is one of our students suffering from malnutrition, and she usually eats about three plates of food or more during lunch time. She lives in a dirt home, and last year suffered from amoebas and parasites. At the beginning of the year, I thought she didn't like me. She comes off like she is very mad, and unhappy most of the time. But, over the past two weeks I have really been making an effort with her. In my English class, I tell her that she has to participate to stay in my class, and if she would rather- she may return to the class. She chooses to stay, and actually participate. When she says a color word out loud for example, and I praise her, she gets this huge smile on her face out of no where. I have learned what she needs, and what lights the happiness within her. She is SO tiny, and sometimes I will run up behind her and swing her up in the air. She laughs so hard, and her smile is ear to ear. Now she talks to me all the time, and actually comes out of her shell. I just love this little girl. She is so special, and so unique. Part of me looks at her, and feels so sad for the life she lives. But then I remember, why would I waste my time feeling sorry for her, when instead, I could spend my time loving her and trying to make that beautiful smile shine through. 


Its amazing the power that three words can hold. Earlier this week, the couple that I am living with was hugging me saying goodnight, and he sincerely said, I love you. It caught me off guard a little bit. In only two months these people care enough that they love me like a daughter? They were nearly strangers to me in the beginning. No matter who says it, no matter when, these three words can make such a difference, and change relationships. When people truly mean it, the power of love is really incredible.


Only four weeks left of my journey... and I can confidently say I wouldn't change anything about my experience, nor would I do anything differently. I plan to enjoy every minute of these last four weeks.


Faith: Faith that my journey would be safe, successful, and life changing.


Hope: Hope that I would improve my Spanish, and grow as an individual. 


Love: I would give as much love to the people and children of Guatemala every day, and feel an unexpected love in return. 









No comments:

Post a Comment