Opal House

Opal House

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Maren Talcott. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education and minor in Spanish. My passion is teaching... I love children! I was born in Minnesota, but spent all of my life growing up in Washington. My dream is to become a kindergarten teacher, and inspire children to love learning! I have done little to no traveling in my lifetime outside of the United States. My goal for this blog is to keep my family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my experiences. I will be living in Guatemala for three months, Jan.-March 2014. I will be volunteering at the Opal House School near Lake Atitlan. The reason for traveling to Guatemala is to have the experience of a lifetime, and improve my Spanish! This journey will push me out of my comfort zone, and open my eyes to a whole new world. I know that I will show my love and compassion to the guatemalan people every single day, and hope that I can impact their lives as much as I know they will impact my own. You can email me at marentalcott@yahoo.com

Monday, March 3, 2014

Its All Part of My Experience

Food Poisoning


I told myself at the beginning of my journey, Gahh I wonder what it is like to drink the unclean water, and the fruit/veggies from the market. All the things I was told NOT to do, yet the majority of the Guatemalan people have to do. It was just so sad to me to think that I have the option to avoid those things, I have access to clean water....and most people do not. 90-95% of this country does not have access to clean water. The majority of the children at our school for example, are filled with parasites. Most of them have built a tolerance, but some of them are constantly sick. 


Yesterday, I went with Will to a meeting in Panajachel. It was a meeting with another mission, and we were learning about their system, and the way they do things. Since, Opal House is still rather new, they are wanting to learn as much as they can so they can operate a very successful mission. Most restaurants in Panajachel can be trusted. It is such a major tourist place, and one of the wealthier towns. Will said that he has eaten at this restaurant numerous times, and never had a problem. He ordered a Chef Salad, and I was a little taken back. That was a little risky for me, knowing to look out for veggies that haven't been cooked or disinfected. I asked him, and he said it would be totally fine! So I also ordered a Chef Salad. It was amazing, absolutely delicious. When we got home a couple hours later, I took a nap. When I awoke from my nap, I immediately felt different. Something wasn't right. Within 5 minutes I was running to the bathroom to throw up. It was happening, I was experiencing food poisoning. For the next 4-5 hours I threw up just about every 20 minutes. A total of about 15 times yesterday. I had never experienced anything like this. And of course the worst is when there is nothing in your system but your body keeps wanting to throw up. I was absolutely green in the face, and weak as can be. 


Jackeline was home for the weekend, and there was little to nothing Will or Diane could do for me. I was in my apartment, alone, feeling like I was going to die. Even though I am 22 years old, I immediately wanted my mom. Throwing up is my absolute least favorite thing in the world. After I was able to get a message to my mom through a friend on Facebook, we were able to Skype. I haven't been using Skype lately because it uses up all my internet...but this was a must. My dad was also able to join us. It was the first time I have Skyped my parents in quite some time. Over a month probably. We had a lot to catch up on, although it was very hard to enjoy the convo, and hard to even talk. We Skyped for over an hour, and I am not going to lie, it made such a difference. It was so great to see them and talk to them. I actually miss them! And I am excited to be home with them again. Sometimes it takes going to college, leaving the country, to actually appreciate your parents. I know that I definitely have a different relationship with my parents after college AND now after all of this! 


On a positive note, I was able to get to sleep around 2am! And I have not puked since!! I am feeling worlds different. But I am still weak, and only eating fruit and drinking water. I wasn't able to teach today, and I am just spending the day in my bed. I should be good to go by tomorrow! Keep me in your prayers please! 


And if you are wondering, no, Will did not get sick....ONLY ME! All it takes is one bad tomato, or piece of lettuce that was not cleaned properly. And I was the lucky victim! 





No comments:

Post a Comment